Re: setuid root CGI's - how bad it is?

Hi,

At 08:11 AM 9/18/97 -0400, Jason Costomiris wrote:

>Are you 100% sure that your CGI has no bugs, no potential buffer overruns,
>doesn't trust input gathered from the User Agent, blah blah blah?
>
>If not, and you shouldn't be 100% sure, don't run CGI's suid to root.

No, I am not sure and I know I shouldn't be running my script suid to root.

>If that's all you want, it's easy.  Do this:
>
>1) Authenticate the user against the system's /etc/passwd.

OK, my script is doing this. The user can enter his login ID and his
password through a HTML form and the CGI script validates the user against
/etc/passwd making sure the UID of the users is >= 1000.

>2) Use Apache's suEXEC module to run the CGI under the user's UID,
>   after authenticating the user.

This sounds like the solution but where can I find this module? It is not
part of the apache-modules package.

Thanks,

E.-

--

Eloy A. Paris
Information Technology Department

"Where does this path lead?" said Alice
"Depends on where you want to go."  Said the cat
("Alice in Wonderland", by Lewis Carroll.)