Re: Where is resolv.conf?

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Thomas J. Malloy wrote:

> If debian does not use it where do I dns and gateway information.  Thanks

Debain certainly uses resolv.conf! You may not have created that file
during the initial installation, if you stopped too soon in "Configure the
Network". If you skip this step you get no hosts file or any other network
configuration files. I remember two more points during the Network
Configuration section where you can bail out. If you don't go through the
section where you declare DNS addresses, then you will not get a
resolv.conf file.

This should not be a problem, as this file is a flat ascii text file, and
can be created with your favorite editor. Here is what mine looks like, if
you need an example:

search polaris.net
nameserver	199.44.34.11
nameserver	199.44.34.2