Re: Incoming PPP question - subnetting

 >Hmmm. What's the netmask on the ethernet interface? If it's set to
>255.255.255.224 then everything should work fine even though

Yes, it is.

>the NT box sets 255.255.255.0 on the PPP link. This is because the
>routing algorithm chooses the route with the most matching bits (that
>is, the one with the longest netmask). Let me know.

Interesting thought.  I'll give this a try.

I've got things working right now by setting up the PPP connection and then
manually setting routes on each end.  However, if I can automate this, that
would be great.

With your msg above, I may not have to make any changes on the NT dialin
box/router.  I'll let you know.

On this subject, though....  Right now, the NT box dials into the modem pool
via PPP.  Is there any way I can have the Linux box (PPP "server") setup a
static route to the NT subnet at the time the NT box dials in?  (I could set
up a script running in the background with a sleep 60 or so  that looks to
see who's logged in and configures the routing table based on that, but this
would be quite a "hack" - there's got to be a better way....)

Thanks for your help, Jens.

Later,

Kevin Traas   Baan Business Systems
Systems Analyst  Langley, BC, Canada