Re: depmod/modprobe error

Hi,
>>"Steve" == Steve Hsieh <steveh@eecs.umich.edu> writes:

Steve> raindrop:/etc# depmod -a modprobe: error reading ELF header: No
Steve> such file or directory

Steve> I'm not sure if this is related to the fact that I built my own
Steve> custom kernel (using make-kpkg).

	This is a problem with the newly changed behavior of depmod
 and friends, who suddenly stopped liking non .o files in
 /lib/modules/<version>.

	Newer versions of kernel package handle that right. For now,
 try:
% find /lib/modules/2.0.30/ -type f -exec file {} \; | grep -v 'ELF 32-bit'
/lib/modules/2.0.30/modules.dep: ASCII text

	Anything other than modules.dep showing up is something that
 depmod can no longer tolerate. Remove those files, get a new
 kernel-package, and things should be fine.

	manoj
--
 What can a pigeon do that a west Texas oil man can't do anymore? A
 pigeon can still make a deposit on a new Mercedes.