Re: decoding base64

On Mon, Sep 15, 1997 at 06:03:11PM -0700, Jim Pick wrote:
> > I keep getting e-mail through Juno from my boyfriend who is on an aircraft
> > carrier.  The last time, I used uuencode.  This time it says base64.  Can you
> > tell my why they are coming to me encoded.  Also, is there an easy way for me
> > to decode this message.  The uuencode doesn't work.  Maybe it is just me, I
> > am not familiar with this stuff.
>
> He's mailing his messages using MIME - which is typically used for mailing
> attachments.  Some mailers (including Netscape 4) send out all their
> mail in MIME encoded form (unless told not to).
>
> To decode the messages, the best bet is to use a mail program that
> understands MIME.  Failing that, you can use mimedecode (from the
> mimedecode Debian package) to decode it.

munpack should do the trick. I used it earlier today to decode
a file someone sent me as four message/partial parts (argh Microsoft
mailer). "cat file1 file2 file3 file4 | munpack" worked nicely. The message
contained some text and a file.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.