Setting up x

I have setup x before with little trouble.  Now I have tried both
XF86Setup and XF86Config.  Could anyone tell me what the following error
message means and how I might correct it.

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

It seems odd to me since XF86Setup managed to run an, at least passable,
server

Thanks
Tom