Re: Debian + PC with multi RS... port -> n x (text dumb t

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, A. Paul Heely Jr. wrote:

>    Why did you move to networked 386's? What's running on them?
>
> The system that we use is provided to us by True Value.  The backroom
> system is a SCO 3.2V4.2 box.  There where a couple of reasons for
> getting rid of the WYSE terminals.  There were emulation problems
> with the terminals, SCO uses an odd ball emulation.

:-) I put my hands on some SCO systems at some customers' and I think
Linux is quite _another_planet_ (and among every distribution Debian, also
used Yggdrasil, Slackware and RedHat).

>                                                     The system
> now uses the backroom for transaction processing, credit card
> approval, house charge accounts, etc.  While the 386's actually
> run the data entry software.  One of the big advantages to this
> is if the backroom system should go down for any reasons, each
> register contains its own mini database, enough to still ring
> transactions.

Yes but a terminal does NOT go down unless broken, while some of those 386
could go down... ok you may say "we have not only one while the main box
is only one"... why should it crash (provided you put a power supply
backup of course), I mean why more likely than those 386's? Because it
does that lot of things? Then I would have it just handle the sessions on
the terminals and the dbase and would connect _another_ box via ethernet
for the other tasks. What do you think?

> This seems to be getting a little Debian un-specific, so if no
> one else is interested in this why don't we use e-mail, instead
> of cluttering the list?

Yes, not wrong (though I see you resent the posting without this note
:-)), but I collected help from very high quality people here (some "big"
one via private e-mail), and there could be some Debian package I'm not
aware of, and some of the original questions involved Debian-tested
hardware.

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Nicola Bernardelli wrote:

>      1) What serial devices allow longer cables than RS232 without use
>         of modems (say 10-100-200 meters)?
>      2) Are there multi port cards of that kind which run well with
>         Debian? Any brandname + model?
>      3) What if the text dumb terminals connected to a Linux Box also need
>         a printer each (or almost any of them)? Is it possible that
>         data is sent to the printer and terminal via the same line?
>         Brandname + model?
>
>      Thanks to anyone willing to give a clue.

And thanks a lot to you too!

     Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@mail.protos.it>
messages will return even when I'm not at home.