Setting serial ports

I have some strange IRQ settings for my serial ports. Linux doesn't
autoprobe properly. I've read in the manual that this can be
corrected by via setserial. This seems a rather inelegant solution.
Is there a way similar to the "pas16=0x388,20" I use for my CD-ROM
controller to override the autoprobe in the first place? I've looked
at the serial-HOWTO and the various documents on the LDP but could
find no such solution.