Re: DHCP Server

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Jim Pick wrote:

> There might be a way to configure Win95 (via the registry) to require a
> valid password when logging in at the "console".  But I'm not sure how.
> I would never use a Windows 95 machine as a "public access" terminal.
> I've seen somebody build a super-secure "public access" Win 3.1 machine
> however (involving lots of bizarre contortions).

This is possible with a Windows 95 "Policy", but the only good way to
enforce it is to use an NT server domain and place the newly created
policy file "config.pol" in the NETLOGON directory.  You'll need to use
user-level security on the W95 machines, and you'll need to require (in
the policy) a valid user logon (and you can dictate which NT domain shall
be used, too).  It's quite a neat feature, although it too can be slightly
subverted.

I used this in a computer store earlier this year.  We set up a policy
which took away a lot of functionality for the "demo" logon, gave the demo
logon a blank password, and required a validated logon to use the
computer.  This restricted what demo users could do, especially browse our
network and play/add DOS games.

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr.                   Client Services Analyst
Computer & Communication Services       tel: (717) 524-1590