Subject: Re: Debian + PC with multi RS... port -> n x (text dumb ter
Author:  n.bern@mail.protos.it at ~AMSCCSSW
Date:    9/12/97 8:35 AM

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> Nicola Bernardelli wrote:
> >   1) what about sending output TO A PRINTER which is NOT ON A PARALLEL
> >      PORT (lpt1, lpt2, ...) but is instead on a serial line? (Maybe I just
> >      need to write software which sends output to its stdout instead of
> >      stdprn, and that output is merely redirected to a com port... maybe
> >      such multiuser environments have typical and by now "traditional"
> >      solutions to my question... that's why I said I lack the basics.)
>
> I think you need 2 lines. Assumming you want your software to be able to
> direct some output to the printer and some output to the serial port, as it
> wishes without human intervention to flip a switch, you need a separate line
> for each.
>
> Also, while it's possible to have a device that prints out what comes to it
> on a serial line, a PC's printer port works quite differenlty than it's
> serial port, (you can't just plug a printer up to it), and so it will be
> more economical to use a standard printer.

But I never heard of PC's with 8 or 16 LPTs, while I hear of multi serial
IO cards with that number of ports.

> >      If yes, would the OS menage the distinction between the two devices
> >      or should _my_application_ (or some wrapper) be aware of the hardware
> >      each session runs on and eventually take care of sending special
> >      characters to say "this goes to the display, this goes to the
> >      printer"
>
> I've never heard of anything that did this. If you actually manage to find a
> serial terminal + printer combo that is switchable from terminal to printer
> mode via some escape sequence, then yes, linux could send the sigals. But I
> think that's unlikly.
>
>  or should I just have two distinct cables run from the Linux
> >      box to the place where the dumb terminal and the printer are?
>
> probably.
>
> > >      1) What serial devices allow longer cables than RS232 without use
> > >         of modems (say 10-100-200 meters)?
> > >      2) Are there multi port cards of that kind which run well with
> > >         Debian? Any brandname + model?
> > >      3) What if the text dumb terminals connected to a Linux Box also need

> > >         a printer each (or almost any of them)? Is it possible that
> > >         data is sent to the printer and terminal via the same line?
> > >         Brandname + model?
>
> I'll bet you're setting up a point of sale system.

Bingo. I don't feel like doing it so much, but I should _hope_ to instead.

> If I were you, I would set up an ethernet network,

(I wouldn't like so much to have that possibly pretty high number of
ethernet points, I wouldn't like to be called once in a while and have to
go looking for bad connectors and so on... maybe some CPU-intensive task
deserves another complete powerful Debian box, maybe even more in future,
but using ethernet just to have terminal+printer...)

>                        with a linux server, and POS systems that were 286
> or 8088 machines with printers attached. Then you would set up software for
> the POS systems, to let them function as terminals, and/or output what data
> they receive to their printers. This fixes your cable length problem, you
> only run one cable, and the price is probably not much larger (unless you
> get them for free, dumb terminals cost more than you would expect).

What is a POS system? What software runs on it? What does such a PC need
to boot at startup? What ethernet cards are suitable for a 8088 or 80286?
(And - ignoring noise from the fan and need to boot some software - will
the people for which I will be building the application find good-looking
one-year-warranty such outdated machines? And, last, I will most probably
be stuck at 80x25... ok, I shall anyway _not_ be making assumptions on
that point...).

     Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@mail.protos.it>
messages will return even when I'm not at home.