minicom, modem questions

Hi there, I am trying to get my modem to communicate with
the one at work. Using dial-up networking from window$
works, but it is pretty ennoying to reboot to
the window$ OS every time I need my modem.

I read the Serial and PPP-HOWTO's as well as the PPP-over-minicom
mini-HOWTO.
I made sure my modem is configured as described in section 9.3
of the PPP-HOWTO (these were default anyway).
The point where I get stuck each time is section 9.5, i.e.
testing the modem for dial out.
What happens is the following:
  I start minicom, the modem initializes, I dial
  my phone-number at work, and after some seconds, ... connection
  is established.
As pointed out it is then question of finding
out what the ppp-host requires as login procedure.
The trouble is that I never receive any prompt, nor any other "funny
characters" as suggested in these HOWTO's. Basically nothing happens.
(Remark: I am almost sure that my corporate site uses PAP.)

I've already spend too much time on this, hope someone can put
me one the right track again, otherwise I will have to abandon
the idea.

Good help highly appreciated. --Erwin

PS. Since a few days (since diving into the above) I keep getting
'lp1 at 0x0378 (polling)' and 'lp1 off-line' in my startup messages (dmesg).
Any possible connection or just something else I managed to screw up ?