Re: Please recommend a quality 4GB hard drive

On 09 Sep 1997 15:07:41 -0700, Terrence Brannon wrote:

>The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
>that has been posted as well.
>

>We would like a SCSI 4GB hard disk to connect to our PC running Debian
>Linux 1.3. We may occassionally want to connect it to our Alpha's running
>Redhat Alpha 4.0.

I've been using Quantums in everything I built in the last year or so. They have
been running 100%. They seem to run a good deal cooler then other
manufactures in the same class (IE an Atlas runs much cooler the a Seagate
'Cuda ) The other reason I've been using Quantum is the Warranty turn
around. When my 2G 'Cuda died on me it was about 3 weeks before I got a
new drive back from Seagate. Quantum has something like a 2 day turn.

>We want reliability first. Then cost second.

Get a DPT HBA and run RAID 6 (0+1). Get 6 2G Fireball ST drives. Nominal
capacity is 6GB, super redundant, and will blow the doors of a 10,000RPM
cheetah. This is the extreme...some simplier RAID solutions should also work
well for you.

Gimme a call if you need someone to build it  (a plug never hurts, right  : >)