Re: Sendmail and domain name

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, David Morris wrote:

: I am working on getting everything configured after having to rebuild
: my debian partition over the weekend. I am sure there are a few more
: things to work on, but the one that keeps hounding me is a persistent
: error message I receive from sendmail.
[snip]
:
: I hear my diald kick in and dial-wait-logoff twice before things
: finally get going again.
:
: Then when I look at the mail.err log this is what I see:
: Sep  8 14:55:07 gently sendmail[897]: My unqualified host name (gently) unknown; sleeping for retry
: Sep  8 14:56:07 gently sendmail[897]: unable to qualify my own domain name (gently) -- using short name
[snip]
:
: I can't find this addressed in any of the sendmail documents on the
: www.sendmail.org site so am unsure if it is really a sendmail problem
: or a problem with misconfiguring my debian box.
:
: Can anyone help?
:
: David
: bweaver@netins.net

If sendmail can't determine the FQDN for the host it's running on, it
gets excited.  It will still be able to SEND mail, however.  Obviously,
it won't receive mail, but since you're using fetchmail for that, it's
no big deal.  I had the same errors when I was running sendmail on an
internal host (10.1.1.100) that wasn't nameserved.  The nameserve lookup
is probably what sets off diald.

I would take a look at the follwing lines in sendmail.cf:

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your
domain
#Dj$w.Foo.COM

:
:
: --
: TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
: debian-user-request@lists.debian.org .
: Trouble?  e-mail to templin@bucknell.edu .
:
: