2 Qs about xdm & ppd

Hi everybody.

After having used Red Hat for a year and a half, I installed
Debian 1.3.1 and have been using it for almost a month now. I'm
truly impressed by it and I want to thank everyone who made this
possible. The installation went really smooth, except maybe for a
few minor details, but I guess that's the price to pay for
installing at 3:30am!

So, here I am trying to find my way around. My 2 questions are:

1) by uncommenting the line

CONSOLE_GROUPS          floppy:audio:cdrom

in /etc/login.defs the user logging in on the console is
automatically added to those groups. This indeed works on the
various virtual consoles, but apparently not if I'm logged via
XDM. So, is there a way to make xdm aware of this, so that
whenever I log in on the console I can use floppies and sound? (I
forgot: sound, floppy and cdrom work fine, is just a permission
problem.)

2) ppp works fine. However, pppd has the following permission:

-rwsr-xr--   1 root     dip         76072 Mar  1  1997 /usr/sbin/pppd*

I wonder if setting the SUID bit is what the mantainer had in
mind. I don't think so, but of course I may be missing something.

TIA,

	Ettore
--
Ettore Aldrovandi