Re: samba doesn't load on boot???

Paul Miller wrote:

> For some reason or another samba doesn't load when I reboot.  I can load
> it manually by 'smbd;nmbd' without problems.

smbd and nmbd normally require the `-D' flag to run as a daemon.
Without it they expect stdin/stdout to be a socket.

> here is my configuration:
> samba-des 1.9.16p11  Debian non-US distribution
>
> /etc/services:
> netbios-ns	137/tcp
> netbios-ns	137/udp
> netbios-dgm	138/tcp
> netbios-dgm	138/udp
> netbios-ssn	139/tcp
> netbios-ssn	139/udp

Looks fine.

> /etc/inetd.conf:
> netbios-ssn  stream  tcp  nowait  root  /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/smbd
> netbios-ns   stream  tcp  nowait  root  /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/nmbd
>
> all paths are correct.. what am I doing wrong?

I have:

netbios-ssn     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/sbin/smbd  smbd
netbios-ns      dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/local/sbin/nmbd  nmbd

I'm pretty sure that `netbios-ns' should be a UDP service.

Do you get any errors in the system logs, or in log.smb/log.nmb?

Does running `testparm' on your smb.conf complain?

Does `netstat -a' indicate that inetd is listening on the socket?

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@sensei.co.uk>