SOLVED: making poff hang up phone

I have figured out how to make this work, thanks to the tips provided by
Joerg and Shaleh.  In case others are having the same problem: the trick
is to tell the modem to hang up when DTE goes low.  Perhaps most people
realized already that the way to do this is in the chatscript
/etc/ppp.chatscript.  I didn't initialize my modem there at all, assuming
it was done somewhere else!  (Developers: would it be a good idea to put a
default init string with ATZ and possibly AT&D2 in this script?)  Here is
my chatscript:

ABORT        BUSY
ABORT        "NO CARRIER"
ABORT        VOICE
ABORT        "NO DIALTONE"
""           ATZ
OK           AT&D2
OK           ATDT4740771
CONNECT      '\h\h\h\r\r'
sername      fsblk
word         'fsblk!'
UAF-DU-02    "c ppp"

Anyway, I hope this is of some use to someone.