moving remote systems from slackware to debian; charset=us-ascii

In one of those strange turns of events, a professor here has hired me to
consult for his computer chain on Linux.  Having twins on the way, I'll take
the extra couple of hundred a month.

Anyway, the systems are remote; they are mail servers for schools throughout
the state.  They seem to have a partial installation of slackware.  They
think.  Some employees have left.

Aside from security concerns about slackware, minor things such as "adduser"
are missing.  Which wasn't a problem until the perl scripts from netscape
broke, and . . .

Yesterday I added a lot by hand to the passwd file.

Anyway, I'd like to switch these machines to debian, but physically going to
each machine is out of the question.

Roughly, I'm thinking of installing debian straight over slackware.  However,
i know that /etc is substantiall different.

Also, does the installation script exist anywhere other than on the boot
disks?
Or am I flatly looking for trouble by doing the switch remotely?

rick