Re: update-menus failed?

On Aug 29, 1997, at 16:18, joost witteveen wrote:
 > >  shell-init: could not get current
 > > directory: get\cwd: cannot access parent directories
 >
 > This I don't understand. I wrote update-menus, and I've
 > seen quite a few error messages from update-menus. But
 > I've never seen this one (nor do I ever expect this).
 > the place at which it comes makes it actually rather unlikely
 > that it's from update-menus: update-menus only continues working
 > _after_ dpkg finished, which is usually after you have your prompt
 > back. This message seems to have come before any command prompt,
 > so I suspect it's from the netscape postinst.
 >
 > I cannot check now, cause I've got a very old netscape package
 > installed here, and that one doesn't to update-menus at all.
 >
 > > Is this of any importance? Is there anything I can do to fix this? I
 > > think I remember a post regarding this issue a while ago, something
 > > like there is a command spawned by root that runs as a different user,
 > > and that user doesn't have read access to all the directories in the
 > > path to a certain file. Is this it?
 >
 > Possible. Take a look at /var/lib/dpkg/info/netscape.postinst,
 > and see what it does after it says " Installation OK.  Hit RETURN.".
 > maybe that gives a clue?

These are the LAST lines in that file. I've edited the "print" lines
to make them fit in 80 columns.

== Start of Excerpt =================================================
#
# Print info message
#
print "- Netscape will not be able to ... unless you set\n";
print "  the \"external ... /usr/.../movemail\".  Changing\n";
print "  the permissions ... (as suggested by Netscape) will\n";
print "  introduce a small ... some circumstances, could\n";
print "  allow someone else to get access to another's mail.\n";

#
# Remaining postinst stuff
#
if (-x "/usr/bin/update-menus") {
    system "/usr/bin/update-menus";
}

## local variables:
## tab-width: 8
## end:

So, it looks like there is nothing in that script seemingly wrong.

 > Thanks,
 > joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

Au contraire, thank you.

--