Re: Linux in Wired

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, David B. Teague wrote:

> Hi Craig, and all list readers:
>
> On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Craig Sanders wrote, in part:
> [...]
> >
> > MS is inescapable.  Programs like WINE and WABI and Willow's TWIN
> > are useful and necessary because linux needs more apps (preferably
> > freeware, but commercial is fine too).  The Win emulators allow (or
> > will
>
> I know about Win emulators: (the commercial) WABI, and about the free
> package in the making, WINE.
>
> Please tell me about Willow's TWIN.  I heard about 'Willow' a year or
> two ago, but then it dissappeared.

they released it under the GPL several months ago.

somebody recently announced on debian-devel that they are packaging it for
debian, so it should be available in hamm (unstable) sometime in the
nearish future.

i haven't used it yet, but it sounds good. can run some/many Win apps
without having windows installed on the system.  apparently it can't yet
run the big MS apps like Word or Excel.

for more info, see http://www.willows.com/

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract