Re: Debian 1.3 / Adaptec 284x VLB - problem

Hi Benjamin de Coninck Owe; unless Mutt is confused,on Aug 28, you wrote :
> I am trying to install debian 1.3 om my pc:
>
> ALI motherboard
> Phoenix BIOS 4.03
> I486 DX4 - 100MhZ
> Adaptec 2840A / 42A
>
> I am having trouble. Booting the rescuedisk at boot prompt I write:
>
> boot: linux aic7xxx=no_reset

> (aic7xxx): Encoutered spurious interrupt
> scsi0: Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-fast SCSI)
> scsi: 1 host.
> scsi0: Scanning channel A for devices
> scsi: Aborting command due to timeout: pid 0, id 0, lun 0, Test Unit
> Ready 00 00 00 00 00
> aic7xxx: (abort) Aborting scb 0, TCL 0/0/0
> scsi: Aborting command due to timeout: pid 0, id 0, lun 0, Test Unit
> Ready 00 00 00 00 00
> aic7xxx: (abort) Aborting scb 0, TCL 0/0/0
> SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
> SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
> aic7xxx: (reset) target/channel 0/0
> aic7xxx: (abort_reset) scb state 0x1, while idle, LASTPHASE = 0xff,
> SCSISIGI = 0x0
> aic7xxx: (reset_device) target/channel -1/A, active_scb 0
> aic7xxx: (match_scb) target/channel -1/A to scb 0/A
> aic7xxx: (match_scb) target/channel -1/A to scb 0/A
> aic7xxx: (reset_channel) Resetting current channel A
> aic7xxx: (done_aborted_scbs) Aborting scb 0, TCL=0/0/0
> scsi0: BRKADRINT error (0x1)
>    Illegal Host Access
> Kernel panic: scsi0: BRKADRINT, error 0x1, seqaddr 0x0
>
> In swapper task - not syncing
>
> I am having no trouble whatsoever booting the currently installes DOS
> 5.0 on the harddisk. Everything seems to work perfectly, the SCSI bus is
> terminated correctly.
>
> What should I do?

You should get (if you can) a 'custom tailored' set of boot floppies (or
at least the first floppy that do _not_ have any other SCSI drivers but
the one for AIC7xxx card. Adaptec cards seem to be _very_ picky about
some probing done for other sorts of cards...
HTH
DamirN

P.S. To Debian leadership: Is there ever going to be a separate boot
floppy images officialy released by Debian for this purpose? This is a
second post about  this problem in last two weeks...Thank you.