[Fwd: Patch troubles]

--- Begin Message ---
Thanks for your post.  After starting with a clean kernel source and
following your instructions, the patch attempt still results in scads of
skipped hunks and .rej files.  It seems clear there is a major problem
somewhere.  I'm sure I haven't looked far enough to learn how to correct
the .rej files or guess the underlying problem, but I just don't have
the time.  I'll wait for the 2.1 kernel to graduate to stable.

Thanks again.

--
C.L. Daugaard
cdaugaard@judson-il.edu

Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> "Curtis L. Daugaard" wrote:
>
> > I'm not an utter newbie, but I feel like it right now.  I have a
> patch
> > (to support certain hardware) against 2.0.30 that I've successfully
> > applied.  Good.  But I guess I'm just clueless about how to apply
> the
> > pre-patch 2.0.31-1 through 2.0.31-7 (to gain support for the LS-120
> > drive).  I've checked the Kernel HowTo, documentation in the kernel
> > sources, directories from which the patches were downloaded, man
> page
> > for patch, etc., but I the patches don't succeed.  Even after a
> fresh
> > reinstall of the sources, patch repeatedly alerts me that it thinks
> I'm
> > trying to reapply a patch.  So I guess my questions come to this:
> >
> > 1.  What is needed to apply the pre-patches mentioned above?
>
> Just the pre-patch 2.0.31-7 in /usr/src/
> and clean 2.0.30 sources in /usr/src/linux/
>
> cd /usr/src
> gunzip -dc pre-patch-2.0.31-7 | patch -p1 -s -N -E -d /usr/src/linux
>
> > 2.  Should the patch against 2.0.30 be applied before or after the
> > pre-patches?
>
> Whatever works!
> Look for .rej files when done and possibly edit them in by hand:
>
>  find . -name "*.rej"
>
> > My thanks to anyone who can help.
>
> Hope it does.
> --
> Peter Galbraith, research scientist
> <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
> Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans
> Canada
> P.O. Box 1000, Mont-Joli Qc, G5H 3Z4 Canada  418-775-0852 - FAX
> 418-775-0546

--- End Message ---