Re: Linux in Wired

-> At 12:35 AM 8/28/97 -0400, Tan Wee Yeh wrote:
-> >Maybe its becuase all my presentations to date are quite
-> >technical and there is no need for flashy stuff.
->
-> I would think that XFig, gnuplot and LaTeX could produce all the
-> "flashiness" that one would need.
->
-> Later,
-> 	Marc
->

i definitely disagree.  gnuplot is nice in that it can be integrated
as part of automated scripts (e.g., as part of a script that processes
data files, formats them, then feeds them to gnuplot), and it does
have loads of features.  however, i recently took the same data that
i was pumping into gnuplot and plopped it into MS Excel, then made
terrificly beautiful graphs (multi-column, bar, 3d, etc) with un-
believable ease, and then sent them into a PowerPoint presentation.

as much as i dislike Win95/NT/MS, this Excel->PowerPoint process
was unbelievable and beats the heck out of grinding through gnuplot's
numerous options.
--andy

--
Andy Kahn  (kahn@zk3.dec.com)        Phone: 603-884-2557 (DTN: 264-2557)
Digital Equipment Corporation        Fax  : 603-881-2257