Incorporation and Version Numbering

Hello everyone. I don't want to start up this big thread again in a
list it doesn't belong in, but I thought I should write something....

First, to Dave on the incorporation, I might not agree it is as bad a
thing as you think, but I can see where you are coming from. The
thing is, though, is that all of  "official" developers seem to have
been behind it, so the only way to change it now would be to have a
big outcry from the users. Maybe this is why you started the thread
in the user mailing list?

Anyways, the responses to your outcries seemed to range from a few
tentative agreements to a lot of total non-agreements. This is
definately not what would be needed to undo the incorporation, now
that it has already been done. So, I think it is safe to say that
there isn't really anything that can be done about it now except for
starting a whole new distribution...

Some "constructive" critisms like saying that more information on
the current structure of the organization should be put on website
seemed good to me, and I believe Bruce agreed to do that. I think it
is futile at this point to try to do anything about undoing the
organization, though. So, while your arguments were interesting in
the philisophical and legal standpoint, it is kind of moot now...

Now, about the numbering scheme. The main critism from Dave/Paul
seems to be not the x.x.x.x versus x.x.x release x, but on if it was
catering to the cd companies, especially with that thing where
changes were done to the current release without updating the number.

Now Dave/Paul claim this is due to the CD-Rom stuff, while Bruce
says it was a mistake since the guy usually overseeing the stuff is
on vacation. But, personally, I don't think the motives matter at
this point for those two updates. What really matters is what is
going to happen from NOW ON.

Bruce has been saying lately empatically that it was a mistake and
won't happen again, so I don't think it can happen again without him
getting in major trouble.

Now Bruce, this is what I think you should do. Make a web page,
maybe in the Latest News section of the site. Say on it that the
last two things were a mistake, won't happen again etc., and say
EXACTLY what is going to happen now. Yes stuff has been said in the
list, but that is kind of fleeting, and can be changed around
in memory. A stationary page says "This is the official policy" and
it can't be strayed from without officially changing the policy.

I'd recommend putting a lot of really clear-cut information. Like if
what I heard about the major numbers being put on the cds, and then
the release ones being downloaded from the net, then put that down.

Also, what would be really nice is like a "simulated timeline". Like
what the numbers should be if Debian was released in the following 10
versions. The timeline would start with 1.3.1, then the official
numbers for the 2 that were released without updating the version,
and then a couple of made-up ones. That would make everything SO
much clearer! Something like this:

------------------------

1.3.1               -- Last one from the "origional" numbering scheme.
1.3 release 2    -- Official # for the first "messed up" one.
1.3 release 3    -- Official # for the second "messed up" one.
1.4 release 1    -- Made up future one.
2.0                  -- Made up future one.

-----------------------

Even with reading everything that I did, I'm not sure if what I just
put down is the way you are planing to do the numbering, or if I
still have it wrong... (I, and seemingly others on the list, am
especially unsure on the official #s of the two that were messed up).

I don't mean to sound pushy that you "need" to do that Bruce, but I
think it'd be a really good idea. That way you can just point to the
page and say THAT is how it will be....

That way should also pacify some of the critics since if what is on
the page looks good, and it is strayed from, then either there has
been a mistake again, or they have reason to be angry since the
policy has changed without saying anything.

Just my $1.50 in change. =)

Shawn