Re: Can't get apache to start using my files

jim writes:

I also have encountered this problem and reported it as a bug.
It took me quite some time finding out what exactly the problem
is.  I'll send you my /etc/init.d/2nd-apache from another machine.

The problem is that apache strarts, fork()s, does something,
then a) reading its config and b) reading its configs from /etc/apache
independent if you specify -f config or -d directory.  Sorry but
Apache really suxx.  (Hi netgod..)

> point your web browser to your own machine.  This documentation states
> that the default document root is set to /home/www-data/webspace.
> This is in error.  No such directory was created by the installation
> process.

Please report this as a bug.

> I then created this directory and populated it with files including
> index.html.  The directory structure below
> /home/www-data was chowned to user www-data group root.  This has no
> effect.  So, after trying a number of obvious things,
> I'm hoping that someone can tell me the secret to working this
> distribution.

The correct location is /var/www

> And more broadly speaking, it seems that the documentation actually
> needed to run apache was not included in the distribution.

There is a apache-doc package containing the documentation.  It has
grown so large that it makes more sense creating second package out
of them.

> I'm still wading through the apache site for information, but, it
> appears that this distribution is different in many ways than
> the default apache distribution.  I'm really disappointed in this
> package maintainer's idea of user friendly.  It's one thing to save time

Please correspond to him directly, either on irc.debian.org #Debian
or via mail e.g. through apache@packages.debian.org.

Keep your head up,

	Joey

 / =?iso-8859-1?q?kristian_k=f6hntopp@cyberbox.north.de          /
/        verursacht durch kaputte Gatesoftware auf der CyberBox /