Re: StarOffice installation

Martin Steigerwald writes:

> I managed to install StarOffice via its own installation routine, but
> not via the Debian installer package.
>
> If I try dpkg-i-ing the installer packages it fails to find the
> StarOffice *.tar.gz files. But this files are in the same directory I
> started the installation from.

They have to be in ${TMP:-/tmp}

> Where do I have to put the archive files if not in the active
> directory? Should I put them into /tmp? If yes, can I remap /tmp to
> another already existing partition? /tmp is laying on a 50MB root
> partition which is maybe 50% full and doesnt have enough space to hold
> all the needed archives.

I normally have /tmp -> /var/tmp

But you can set TMP to an appropriate value, the installer will honor
this.

> I use the static linked StarOffice binaries. Is there any way to use
> the dynamic linked one other than buying Motif?

They are linked against Motif you you'll need Motif - Lesstif might
work, too but I haven't tried.

> Is there any way to speed up starting of StarOffice application
> without plugging more memory into the computer? I am using a 486 and
> 16 MB of RAM. Hopefully I will get another 16 MB, but God knows when.
> That might stop swapping.

To be honest, I won't run StarOffice on that machine.  You'll have
more fun playing and learning LaTeX if you need typesetting.  LaTeX
will run on your computer without memory and speed problem.

Regards

	Joey

 / =?iso-8859-1?q?kristian_k=f6hntopp@cyberbox.north.de          /
/        verursacht durch kaputte Gatesoftware auf der CyberBox /