Re: Knowing what to update on my Debian system?

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Adam Klein wrote:

> In <[🔎] 199708220338.XAA01420@newton.nowhere.cl>, "Gonzalo A. Diethelm"
> <gonzo@ing.puc.cl> wrote:
> > By the way, the CDs I got from Cheapbytes have the following printed
> > on them:
>
> >   "Official" Debian 1.3 1

This is the binary portion of the distribution. You use this CD to run
dselect against for upgrades or installation.

> >   "Official" Debian 1.3 2

This is the source CD. You should only need to deal with files on this
image if you have a need to build your own .deb file from the source. You
would normaly only need to do this if you wished to modify the package
from what is delivered on the "1" CD.

> > Have I been ripped off? Is this the latest 1.3.1 CD, or an older
> > version? How could I check?

If you mount either of the above CDs, say on /cdrom, and look at the
directories there, you will see a symlink named Debian-1.3.1 which tells
you which revision of 1.3 you are looking at.

> > --
> > Gonzalo A. Diethelm G.
> > gonzo@ing.puc.cl
>
> I've got some of those too.  I can tell they're 1.3.1 CDs because they include
> XFree86 3.3.

This was the primary reason the additional point release was made. This
was a fairly large change to the system. Hopefully further revisions to
1.3 will be of a more managable size.

> Adam Klein

Luck,

Dwarf