Re: killing a process

On 22 Aug 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Ricardo" == Ricardo Muggli <ricardo@calvin.net> writes:
>
> Ricardo> This may be off the debian-specific topic but.. I have a
> Ricardo> mirror process that has been going for a long time. I would
> Ricardo> like to kill it but it seems to be really stubborn. I have
> Ricardo> tried : kill -9 pidhere but nothing happens to the
> Ricardo> process. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to kill the
> Ricardo> process?
>
> 	This is very wrong. No matter what happens, a kill -9 should
>  kill the process. Are there any other signs of a kernel malfunction?
>  (You may want to reboot). If it happens again, could you supply the
>  versions of the kernel and of mirror?

Just a thought, check that you are root, perhaps you do not have
permissions and kill is silently failing. Also check the state of the
process, I know on QNX the OS does not like to kill HELD (SIGSTOP)
processes and generally requires you SIGCONT them first.

If anything kill -9 should ensure the process never gets another CPU
cycle, it should die the next time it is schedualed to run, if it never
runs then it may not be able to handle the signal, depends exactly on how
linux's priorities end up working.. Check you haven't got a cpu intensive
process running someplace too..

Jason