Re: Linux kernel 2.0.31????

On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Christopher Smith wrote:

> J. Paul Reed wrote:

> > > They are up to pre-7 now.  Looks like there's still a few problems to be
> > > worked out, to be sure we have a nice stable kernel.  The best thing you
> > > can do at this point is to install pre-7 on all your machines, and test it
> > > heavily, to be sure there are no bugs.  And be sure to report the ones you
> > > do find, so we're sure to have a stable one..
> >
> > I would say for those of us who don't know how (or don't want to) mess
> > with it, the BEST thing you can do at this point is install 2.0.29 and
> > leave it at that.
> >
> > Every Linux production server I work on is 2.0.29. Not one single 2.0.30
> > in the bunch...
>
> Out of curiosity what's so evil about 2.0.30?

Nothing particularly evil; but if we're up to pre-patch 7, there were
(are) obviously some problems with it (and I can't seem to remember what
they specifically are; as I remember it was something to do with some
esoteric networking thing or something...)

I personally like the number 2.0.30 better than 2.0.29, but doesn't mean
I'd run that kernel ;) I think I'll wait for 2.0.31, unless it turns out
it has some nasty bugs too.

As a friend of mine was explaining it, the non-development kernels are for
the most part pretty stable, but if you find a bug, lots of things can
break then :)

Later,
Paul