Re: killing a process

Ricardo Muggli wrote:

> This may be off the debian-specific topic but.. I have a mirror process
> that has been going for a long time. I would like to kill it but it seems
> to be really stubborn. I have tried :
> kill -9 pidhere
> but nothing happens to the process. Does anyone have a suggestion on how
> to kill the process?

When you run a 'ps -ax' what's the process state? Is it 'D'? If so then
that process is in an "uninterruptible state". Once it comes out of that
state it will receive the SIGKILL you've sent it with the 'kill -9' and
will exit. BTW, this state generally means the process is waiting for
some low-level I/O routine to complete, and usually these routines
shouldn't time out that long. Are you using NFS with "hard" mounts?

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com