Re: changes in a release without any numbers changing

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: "Dave Cinege" <dcinege@psychosis.com>
> > No I'm talking about the same revs conatining differences. Something that
> > the developers are conviently ignoring.
>
> I already admitted it was a mistake today, and we won't do it again.
> I think the person who made the change understands that now.

Yes, you did and some other people didn't see that and continued to say
that it never happened. You said that the changes will be made and I
believe that will happen.

As far as incorporation and donations go, I see no problem with that. I
don't expect to see any 'Debian telethons' taking over my TV in the near
future or get any telephone calls from fundraising contractors. :)

I agree that retail placement is good for Debian. Encouraging multiple
vendors to produce copies of identical CD images won't further that goal
because there will be more stale leftover inventory. I noticed that one of
the Official CD vendors had to cut the price when another vendor jumped
into it. Maybe some of them will produce the next version solely as a way
to draw traffic to the website where they sell Redhat, Caldera, etc. at a
better profit margin.

I don't have those other distributions for sale. I sell Debian because I
like it and tried to meet a need.

As I said before, the priority should be on painless upgrades from any
installed version. Perhaps a hack/patch to have dselect always do certain
things first (like install an upgraded version of itself and restart)
would be important. Along the same lines, it could also check for a
package in base (Debian-upgrade.x.x.x.deb?) which takes care of those
critical 'first steps'. This would help a lot with changes like the recent
tetex packages and the upcoming libc6.

A possible quicker implementation of this would be a runme.x.x.x.sh script
which is clearly mentioned in the topmost readme. It would primarily use
some invocations of dpkg to get things updated before dselect is invoked.
One reason I favor this approach is that it could be written to smooth out
the upgrades from 1.1.x and higher to any current release.

If this could be accomplished, the value of an older CD (especially one
that came with a book) would be much higher. I have seriously considered
mass production of a really cheap Debian Starter CD. Most users can get
the upgrades and any source they care to play with via ftp. They might be
content to replace the CD 2 or 3 times a year. People who want all the
updates on CD or want all the source don't mind paying more for CD-R
products. I got tired of carrying a 'mirror' computer and ethernet
hardware with me to do installs and upgrades. Soon, I hope, there will be
enough Debian users to warrant a monthly CD press run of binary/source
stable/unstable.

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +