Building Your own Boot Disks

We build many, many Linux boxes (on order of 15 to 20 a month). We
just received some new disk sets for Debian 1.3.1. We have been using
1.2 and kernel 2.0.30. The new disk set comes with the disk images
having 2.0.29. Now not wanting to go backward, especially due to the
major modifications done to the kernel we are using, I cannot build a
boot disk and drivers disk that will do a good install.

First, I have changed the kernel out on the 1.3.1 boot/rescue disk and
ran rdev.sh on it. I replaced the sys_map.gz  and edited the
install.sh so that VERSION=2.0.30.

I replace the modules.tgz on the drivers disk with a modules.tgz that
contains an updated tulip driver and all other modules have been
compiled under 2.0.30.

In the past this is all that i have had to do to get the disks
working, now with this new version of the Debian installer, I cannot
get the modules to install.

The kernel, drivers and base all install fine, however, I cannot
specify which modules I wish to use. The installation of them fails. I
receive an error message as follows:

"modprobe: error reading ELF header: no such file or directory"

While I have managed to klop something together that works, I would
like to know if there is any definitive source of information on
building installation disks. The new system that loads base off of a
CD is great, but with the modified drivers and kernel, I need to know
more about these disks.

Timm Gleason
Hardware Engineer
N2H2, Inc.
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rich Cook