Re: Passwd: encrypted pw entry

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Matthew Tebbens wrote:

> How can I disable an /etc/passwd entry. Isn't there something I can place
> in the encrypted-pw section of /etc/passwd to disable the account ?

Inserting an asterisk in front of a user's encoded password will disable
the account without destroying the ability to restore that account later
(by removing the password).  I believe an asterisk is not a valid
character in the character set used by the password encrypting algorhythm,
and it will also shift all of the characters into a different position.
Of the thirteen characters, the first two are the "salt" used to make
things random, and the other eleven store the encoded password.

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr.                   Client Services Analyst
Computer & Communication Services       tel: (717) 524-1590