Re: Debian Version Numbers - My rant on this

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997 17:47:12 -0600 (MDT), Anthony Fok wrote:

>> >Oops. My fault. The reason for two numbers is mostly marketing. I know
>> >that marketing is anathema to most of us, but someone's gotta do it and
>> >I'm afraid the task fell on me. Feel free to call me up if you need a
>> >longer explanation.
>>
>> Phooey! I like the naming scheme, and the system for updates. When I am using something
>> Debian I want to know if it is 1.3.0 or 1.3.1, not 1.3
Rev-Guesswhatchangeswe'vemadewiththisrun.
>> (debian_version should also reflect this)
>
>(The following are how I see this is.  If I am incorrect, please correct
>me.  :)
>
>New revisions are still distinguished.  There is nothing hidden in anyway.
>For example, if there are some security fixes needed for a new release, it
>will be called Debian 1.3.1 Revision 1, Debian 1.3.1 Revision 2, and so
>forth.  This is to indicate that the changes are small.  (Usually just
>minor bug fixes, perhaps just a few megabytes which only takes a few
>minutes to half an hour for people to download from an FTP site.)

Its monkey wrench time. When I query debian_version with my script what do I now look for?
1.3.1 is easy. Everything is delimited with a .  just use cut.

Will it now return 1.3.1r1 1.3 R1 or what? Does this look nice at boot up? Is this going to break any
previous scripts?

>I like this idea.  It is a very good compromise, and indeed, nothing is
>hidden.  You may think of Debian 1.3.1 Revision 1 as 1.3.1.1; Debian 2.0
>Revision 1 as Debian 2.0.1.  It is up to you.  ^_^

I don't. 1.3.1 Rev 1 looks plain dumb. It looks like something so screwed we've got subpatches on
top of patches.