Re: pine/netscape sharing mail files

> I looked at the pine and netscape mail files and they appear to be in the
> same format, except netscape has a summary file for each file.  Would it
> be safe to have procmail deliving mail to a shared mailbox file that
> netscape and pine are reading (and have netscape or pine open)?

I use procmail and a custom movemail script to deliver mail directly into
Netscape's mail boxes.  There are the following problems:

 - writing directly to netscape's Inbox is bad.
 - summaries are regenerated automatically if the mailbox is newer than the
   summary.
 - when regenerating summaries, deleted (but not removed by "compressing")
   mail reappears.

Note:  This is with netscape v3.  v4 works different but since I don't like
the new mail interface, I don't use v4.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )