Re: Basic questions

On Mon, Aug 18, 1997 at 06:08:02PM -0400, Robert S. Ross wrote:
> I could use some help with some basic questions that have me puzzled.
> 1. How do I get Linux to boot from the HD? I am using System Commander,
> and it will call LILO if configured.

Are you running NT?  There is a HOWTO or some other documentation that
I was able to find easily that discussed this.

I am dual-booting between Linux and W95 using LILO as the boot
system selector. If you don't know already, there is a great Linux info
source, the Linux Documentation Project at <http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/>
that contains the HOWTOs, etc.

> 2. Does XFree come with Debian, and if so, how do I run it? If not,
> where do I get the complete package. The web site has all kinds of
> stuff, I am not sure how to get it.

A version of XFree86 is available as a Debian package.  I think
Debian is packaging XFree86 3.3, which is the latest major/minor
version released.  Actually looking at www.xfree86.org there is
an annoucement of XFree86-3.3.1 [8/11/97].

I think the only issue here is whether your video card is supported
by the version of XFree86 packaged by Debian.  When I first started
with Debian, my video card was not yet supported by the XFree86 Debian
package, but there was a beta release of XFree86 that did, so at first
I was building XFree86 separately.  Later, this version was packaged
for Debian, so I switched to the Debian package.  I would recommend
that you use the Debian package if you can, its a little easier.

> 3. How do I dial the Internet, and can I use the Netscape Unix to
> browse? Thanks.

Well, you must install some sort of networking device support as is
appropriate to your setup.  If you are connecting via an ISP using
PPP or SLIP, then you must configure those.  If you are connecting
via Ethernet, then you must configure that.  Lots of info concerning
this in the HOWTOs.

Once you have Internet access, via some sort of link layer interface,
you may run any/all of the usual IP applications.  There is a
version of Netscape available for Linux that works pretty well.

Welcome to Linux!