Re: sound module: /dev/audio: Device or resource busy

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> >  i am experiencing strange behavior when attempting to load sound
> >  support as a module.  i have a debian 1.3.1 system and a SB
> >  AWE-64 PNP card, which i have installed using the isapnptools.
> >  the fact
>
> I have a SB AWE-32 PNP (does someone know: how I get my bios to set
> up pnp properly? I have a PNP Bios, I think, but I need
> isapnptools. Why? I didn't changed anything in my bios setup.)

I assume the BIOS setups only the sb part of the sound card.  The
initilisation of the MIDI sythesizer is left to the DOS drivers
(ctpnp, diagnose, aweutil) or to ISAPNP.

> However, one thing I saw: I use kernel 2.0.29, you 2.0.30. Could
> this be the reason?

No, I have 2.0.30 with the awedrv 0.3.99c installed and everything
(including MIDI) workes fine.

> At the moment, I'm puzzled. If you have more info, please mail, I'm
> interested.

Check if something like NAS (network audio system) is started.  This
is a demon that blocks /dev/dsp (and all the other) and gives network
wide access to your soundcard.  Just check if there is a
/etc/init.d/nas file, if so try

        /etc/init.d/nas stop

and try access /dev/audio after this.

        Torsten

--
"What a depressingly stupid machine"
                              The Restaurant at the End of the Universe