Daily Usenet Report

I have my machine on a dialup ppp linuk until I get back to school in a
week,  at which point it'll be full-connected all the time.  Lately I've
been getting the "Daily Usenet Report" (I suppose generated someplace in
cron.daily) which _always_ has errors like these:

Server status:
No innd.pid file; did server die?
Can't send "mode" command (sendto failure) No such file or directory.

                       Questions:
1) What's generating these?  I can't find an "inn" entry in
/etc/cron.daily
2) Is there some way to quell these until I get back to school and have a
real news connection?  If I run the server from here,  it dials my modem
all the time trying to get news,  and ties up the phone line ...
3) When I _do_ decide to run inn,  should I run it from rc.boot or from
one of the runlevel rc.* directories?

						thanks in advance,

                     					Will

			         harpo@udel.edu