FTP Server

Hi, I just switched from slackware to debian linux.  In slackware when I
typed ftp localhost I could test to see if my ftp connection was working, but
in debian I type ftp localhost I get a error message saying connection
refused, the same applies to telnet.  Also, I only have the base package
installed right now.  Do I need another package to accept ftp connections?