FTP updates (was Re: Is this the Debian ...)

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:
> The Official CD will have a slower release schedule than the system
> available via FTP. Those who wish the latest fixes should be willing to
> update a few packages on their systems via FTP between each CD
> purchase. Nobody can press new CDs every two weeks and continue to sell

> As far as I can tell, this is the best solution for the users. Cheap
> CDs with up to 1.3 GB data, and then you download the latest couple
> of megabytes of updates.

Will there be any way to tell which packages are included in the 2 megs of
updates? i.e., will there be (or is there) a directory for "changed since
last CD image" with links to what we need to get?
I guess dselect can automatically figure out whether the version numbers
have changed, but a directory would be faster and easier I think. Maybe
even a tar with all the changed packages. "Deity" could be made aware of
the directory and save downloading and comparing version numbers.

Just a thought/question, FWIW

Havoc Pennington