Re: Qmail ./qmail-config does not work! hard error???

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Amos Shapira wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, David M wrote:
>
> >I had this happen when I was porting qmail to qnx.. it had to do with
> >not being able to lookup the host name. I'm not sure if there are
> >other hard errors though.
>
> While we are at it - what did you do about that?

My particulay problem was that I miscompiled it with the wrong socket
library, fixed that and hostname worked as advertised.

> My problem with Qmail is that my home machine is connected through
> a dial-up line and doesn't have a permanent FQDN.  It does have
> a "hostname" ("birnam").

I think me should be simply somearbitaryname.ispname.com. I'm not sure how
qmail handles dialup connections..

> So there is no "me" in the network sense that you can allways
> "nslookup birnam" and get an IP address.  Whenever I connect
> I get another IP.  What's the prerequisites that Qmail expects
> from "me"?

It only uses it to determine if mail is destined for your machine. Give
your machine an arbitary name, put it in all the hostname files and put
that in me. Any mail sent directly to somearbitaryname.ispname.com will
stay local, all else will go out to the net. You should also set
smtproutes to have a single entry for your ISP's smtp server..

At least I think that is how it should work ;> That is how my smail seems
to work here anyhow.

> At least the normal "hostname" should NOT give FQDN.  Is this the
> same "hostname" you are talking about? (all hostname(1) does is
> to get the string from the kernel using the gethostname(2)
> system call).

It compiles it's own hostname during the build process.

Jason