lsz 0.11 for Debian GNU/Linux

I dialup to a server, nicon.org, running Debian/GNU Linux with (my
machine) DOS 6.2, comm program COMit which came with the Zoom 33.6 modem,
on a 386SX-25 w/8MB ram.
In the Pine 3.96 SETUP CONFIGURATION I was told this was the download
command.....

download-command            = sz
download-command-prefix     = <No Value Set>

Whenever I attempt to download with Zmodem from Pine or from Lynx I
immediately get CRC errors, sync back to XXXXX, timeout errors and it
hangs the system. Sometimes text arrives OK but binary files are never any
good if they arrive at all.
This never happens when I dialup a regular BBS and use Zmodem to download
files using the same terminal settings, in fact it works very well.
I can't get any info from the sysadmin at nicon.org.  I found out what
they were running because I was experimenting with   sz  switches and got
a readout of usage options and said it was lsz 0.11 for Debian GNU/Linux.
I don't understand the options or what will fix my problem.
If you can even point me at info about    lsz   it would be a help.
Thanks
Bob Sylvester