Re: printing over samba to win95

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Rick Macdonald wrote:

> > On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Paul Miller wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying to add an entry to the /etc/printcap file to print on another
> > > machine (win95) using samba.  I have a HP Deskjet 660C and I want to use
> > > Magicfilter's DJ550C filters.  Here's the problem:
> > >
> > > 1) how do I use two filters in the printcap file (dj550c-filter and smbprint)
> > > 2) when I print w/ only smbprint, the printer's error light lights up and
> > > if I press the retry button it works...
>
> I don't use Magicfilter, but the following should help you see what needs
> to be done.

I do use magicfilter and I call the filter within the smbprint script.
Here's my printcap and smbprint. Cheers.

# Added by CRT 97/05/10
lp|rlp|iigr|hplj3|Remote printer entry:\
        :cm=HPLIII printer in IIGR 301:\
        :lp=/dev/rlp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
	:af=/var/log/rlp-acct:\
        :lf=/var/log/rlp-errs:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/smbprint:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

#!/bin/sh -x
(
# NOTE You may wish to add the line `echo translate' if you want automatic
# CR/LF translation when printing.
#        echo translate
        echo "print -"
        /usr/sbin/ljet3-filter "$@"
) | /usr/bin/smbclient "\\\\MAIN\\HPLIII" -I ipaddress -N -P > /var/log/smb-print.log

--
	  Colin R. Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
	    School of Policy Studies Building, Queen's University