Re: Debian Linux on IBM and Compaq servers

"Franz J Fortuny" wrote:

> We intend to set our Linux up on either an IBM or a COMPAQ server (6000).

Here's my summary about how I managed to use Linux on a Compaq Deskpro 6000.

BIOS:

  Nothing in particular except that it forces all PCI devices on IRQ 11.
  So much for greater performance!
  Anyway, the default Adaptec 2940U driver (aic7xxx) in 2.0.30 does not
  do shared IRQs without a tiny patch to aic7xxx.c:

-     if (request_irq(config->irq, aic7xxx_isr, SA_INTERRUPT | SA_SHIRQ,
+     if (request_irq(config->irq, aic7xxx_isr, SA_SHIRQ, "aic7xxx", NULL))

  so my network card wouldn't work until I applied the patch.

  The following updated driver does use shared IRQs and is more stable:

    ftp://ftp.pcnet.com/users/eischen/Linux/aic7xxx-2.1.26-Jun1.tgz

  It compiled fine under 2.0.30.  Make sure you read the README file
  because there is some hand-editing to do.

  I edited aic7xxx.c to enable tagged queueing with 6 commands per lun
  for increased SCSI performance:

  /* Uncomment this for tagged queueing. */
  #define AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING

  /*
   * You can try raising me if tagged queueing is enabled, or lowering
   * me if you only have 4 SCBs.
   */
  #define AIC7XXX_CMDS_PER_LUN 6

  A newer version still of the aic7xxx driver will be included in 2.0.31
  (at least it's in the pre-release I'm using).

Network:

  The Compaq uses an onboard network card called the Compaq Integrated
  NetFlex-3/P.  James Banks <james@caldera.com> at Caldera is writting
  a driver for it:

    ftp://ftp.caldera.com/pub/stuff/tlan-0.29.tar.gz

  It works great!

PD-CD

  The Compaq came a few months ago with a neat SCSI PD-CD which reads
  regular CDs and also handles PD rewritable 650 MB cartridges.  The
  SCSI PD device is supported under Linux (enable multiple LUN in the SCSI
  part of the kernel configuration).

  Since April or so, Compaq has started to ship Deskpro's with IDE/ATAPI
  PD-CDs (instead of the SCSI model).  Using a stock 2.0.30 kernel, the CD is
  seen as /dev/hdc but the PD part is ignored (at least the CD works for
  Linux installation!)

  The PD device works under a patched 2.0.30 Linux kernel.  The ide-scsi
  stuff used is currently in 2.1.X kernels, but currently 2.1.45 has not
  support for msdos filesystems which ruled it out for me.

  Gadi Oxman <gadio@netvision.net.il> (the author) managed to get his
  ide-scsi sources included in 2.0.31, available also in pre-release
  pre-patch-2.0.31-3 available on www.linuxhq.com

  E-mail me if you'd rather get the patches to 2.0.30.  They may be more
  stable (I've have problems with pre-patch-2.0.31-3).

  After applying the patch, recompiling and booting the new kernel, the
  CD is seen as /dev/sr0
  This device did not exist on my machine, so I did this to get it:

   cd /dev
   ./MAKEDEV sr0

  The PD was seen as a standard SCSI disk (/dev/sdd in my case, since
  I had 3 oher disks) on another SCSI device.

Sound

  The sound card works with these SoundBlaster settings:

  #
  # Sound
  #
  CONFIG_SOUND=y
  # CONFIG_PAS is not set
  CONFIG_SB=y
  # CONFIG_ADLIB is not set
  # CONFIG_GUS is not set
  # CONFIG_MPU401 is not set
  # CONFIG_UART6850 is not set
  # CONFIG_PSS is not set
  # CONFIG_GUS16 is not set
  # CONFIG_GUSMAX is not set
  # CONFIG_MSS is not set
  # CONFIG_SSCAPE is not set
  # CONFIG_TRIX is not set
  # CONFIG_MAD16 is not set
  # CONFIG_CS4232 is not set
  # CONFIG_MAUI is not set
  CONFIG_AUDIO=y
  CONFIG_MIDI=y
  CONFIG_YM3812=y
  SBC_BASE=220
  SBC_IRQ=5
  SBC_DMA=1
  SB_DMA2=5
  SB_MPU_BASE=0
  SB_MPU_IRQ=-1
  DSP_BUFFSIZE=65536
  # CONFIG_LOWLEVEL_SOUND is not set

Keyboard

  The keyboard has an awfully slow repeat rate.  Drives you mad.
  You can reset it with:

   kbdrate -r 30

Video

  The Matrox Millenium card is supported under the new XFree-3.3
  using the SVGA server.  It's very fast.

SCSI and Disk.

  Uses an Adaptec 2940U, supported under Linux.  See below about
  booting Debian.

  As for disk, I got the 4.3 GB version.  It turns out it's a Seagate
  Barracuda with a 9 MB/sec transfer rate.  Fast enough for me!

Installing Debian

  I'm using Debian 1.3, and had to build a custom boot disk because the
  probing in the regular install boot disk would somehow touch the Adaptec
  SCSI controller and reboot the PC.  This was actually very easy to do using
  another Linux machine.    The custom kernel is at:

   ftp://ftp.phys.ocean.dal.ca/users/rhogee/Debian/

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada