sylogd error logging for rlogind

If I try to rlogin into Debian, and the originating machine's IP
and hostname cannot be validated to be the same, then rlogin fails.

That's a feature, not a problem.

In this case, the two machines requesting an rlogin connection are not
listed in our DNS, nor do they appear in my /etc/hosts.
Trying to rlogin from the misconfigured Sun, I get the error:

 shcsun8 32 % rlogin mixing
 Protocol error, mixing.qc.dfo.ca closed connection

>From Slackware 3.0, I get the error:

 $ rlogin mixing
 mixing.qc.dfo.ca: No such file or directory

(Now that one is  weird!)

On the Debian PC hosting the connection, I only get entries like:

daemon.log: Aug 14 08:10:42 mixing in.rlogind[9636]: connect from 142.130.48.22

No errors are logged.  Shouldn't they be?
The problems go away if I put entries for them in /etc/hosts, but it's
difficult to clue in on the problem since nothing is logged.

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada