Re: Debugging pine sessions

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> > I could see your point about -DDEBUG not being appropriate for a
> > production program if the resultant output was only useful for debugging
> > Pine. However, the principal use of this information is for debugging
> > pine /sessions/ (and the default debug level can be set accordingly).
>
> Again, there must be very few people interested on this.

I disagree.  The debug feature is a standard Pine behaviour.  I was very
surprised disappointed when I discovered that I couldn't use the debug
option at all (I was having some problem with Pine and the SMTP server
(exim), and I would like to check the .pine-debug? files to see what was
going on.)

Therefore, I think the -DDEBUG flag should be turned on by default.  If
some user is annoyed with the .pine-debug? files, they can always use the
-d 0 option.  At least, let the user make the decision instead of
eliminating the -d option entirely.

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling            foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca