Re: what is the best pop3d?

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Doug Ledford wrote:

> --------
> > > The URL is ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z
> > It works fine, make sure you have the current one though, the older one
> > asked the right way gives out root shells
>
> Even the latest one isn't perfect.  The POP3 server included in this will
> cause Netscape to generate "POP3 server error" messages when downloading
> large emails (400K is usually large enough to cause the error).  The qpopper
> daemon does not exhibit this problem.  I haven't looked into why, I just
> know that it does.

Thanks to both Alan and Doug for the information!  It's nice to get
information from a developer AND an experienced user of the networking
code!  I've learned a lot just by reading postings from both of you.

Doug - I haven't noticed any problems with the toolkit's POP3 daemon, but
we haven't had any 400K messages, either!  If I start seeing POP3 server
errors, I'll certainly try qpopper.  Hopefully, I can ditch POP3 when our
web browsers support IMAP4.

Alan - First, thanks for your work on the Linux networking code!  In your
reply, I presume that you were referring to the bug in the IMAP toolkit
that was announced on the linux-alert mailing list in April.  Actually,
that's where I heard that the beast was available, so I downloaded the
fixed version.  The imap.tar.Z on the ftp site is a symbolic link to the
latest release, so, bugs aside, it should be safe from that security hole.

DISCLAIMER:  The comments above are my own and may not represent the views
             of my employer.
:     Geoffrey P. Goodrum       :         US Department of Commerce         :
:       +1-301-457-5100         : NOAA/NESDIS National Climatic Data Center :
: ggoodrum@perigee.ncdc.noaa.gov:         Satellite Services Branch         :