Re: sound card as a module and audio CDs

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> In message <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.970812154206.228A-100000@terrapin.econ.queensu.ca>, w
> rites:
>   >I am running debian hamm and have a sbwave32 as a module (no awe stuff,
>   >just compiled as sb16). When I unfortunately have to boot to win95 and
>   >then return to debian and play a cd using workman, I don't get any sound
>   >until I play a sound file through /dev/audio (i.e. it seems to me that
>   >something is not triggering kerneld to load the sound module). I guess I
>   >could write a simple little wrapper to insmod and rmmod and run workman
>   >inbetween, but I thought there may be a better way to go about this. Any
>   >ideas?
>   >
> This is not limited to sb16.  I experience the same problem running with
> a GUS Extreme and the commercial OSS software.
>
> Following Colin Telmer's hint, I found that the card would play CD's if
> I played a midi file first (with playmidi -g).

I should have been a little more clear - I don't think it has anything to
do with the particular type of soundcard or audio cd player. Rather it
seems like it is a generic problem that audio cd players just don't signal
kerneld to load the sound module. Cheers.

PS. I have added the following to my .xsession (could just as well be put
in .bash_profile if you don't run xdm):

cat /dev/null > /dev/audio

That gets kerneld to load the sound module without needing to hear some
obnoxious startup sound:)

--
	  Colin R. Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
	    School of Policy Studies Building, Queen's University