Re: [backup method] - what about TOB?

-> What you're doing looks pretty cool.  I was looking in to backing up
-> my /home (which isn't too big) onto a Zip disk.  I was checking out
-> TOB (tape oriented backup), but there are a couple of things that bug
-> me about it.
->
-> 1) It tars directly to a device - not to a filesystem.  This means one
-> backup (full, differential, or incremental) per disk, yes?  I haven't
-> looked too hard yet - hacking the script to tar to a filesystem can't
-> be that hard, though.

i've never seen TOB, but regarding tar'ing directly to a device:
you can do multiple tar's to device (e.g., tape device).  to do
this, let's say you already tar'd once.  to do it again, but append
it to the first one, you need to forward past the first one.  so if
you were at the beginning of your tape, you need

	mt -f /dev/ntape fsf 1

where /dev/ntape represents the >> non-rewinding << device entry for
your tape drive.  afterwards, you can tar again.
--andy

--
Andy Kahn  (kahn@zk3.dec.com)        Phone: 603-884-2557 (DTN: 264-2557)
Digital Equipment Corporation        Fax  : 603-881-2257