Re: kernal-package in stable not including config in /boot

As a side question...  I don't use this package to compile kernels, I
do it by hand the old Slackware way.  When I'm done compiling, I simply:

 cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /zImage-someName

Somehow, a `map' file also gets created as /boot/map
I then edit lilo.conf, adding an entry for the new kernel.

I see that the Debian `way' of placing kernels is:

/vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.0.30
/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.30
/boot/psdatabase-2.0.30
/boot/psdatabase -> /boot/psdatabase-2.0.30
/boot/System.map-2.0.30

Why does my system appear to work fine without copying the System.map
file anywhere?   What's its purpose?
What's the purpose of psdatabase?
Why would I bother with these files?

Peter