Re: Default caching bind config very slow??

Same here: "who" takes quite a bit of time to run because it seems to be
trying to do a reverse DNS lookup. There is something strange here
because I have a local named process that serves my IN-ADDR.ARPA zone
so reverse lookups should be local and that should be pretty fast.

Anyone has any ideas of what's going on with "who"?

Thanks,

E.-

Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au> wrote:

: I am using bind as a caching name server and have found that it seems to
: be very slow when doing reverse DNS lookups. In particular, it seems to be
: only caching them for about 5 minutes, and is very slow (up to 2 minutes)
: when it is not in the cache. It first showed up when using "who" with
: people telnet connected. "Who" likes to show the hostname telneted from.

: Another thing interesting is the hostnames that are being looked up are in
: my /etc/hosts file, but still take ages. An strace of who shows that "who"
: is doing something with the hosts file, and then trying "named" and timing
: out and retrying a few times before it completes. There is nothing
: reported in my logs.

--

Eloy A. Paris
Information Technology Department